January 04, 2009

Themes/ideas for year of hospice knitting

This post will be added to as inspiration strikes:)
Please note this is not a finished list, you are very welcome to add to it.
The idea is to give a list of moons, flowers, trees,colours and ideas for the year to help anyone wishing to dye yarn or donate yarn for the hospice project. However, should you wish to donate something that just feels right to you then that is brilliant. We all have ideas and likes or dislikes of colours. I would thank those who have already offered donations, I do appreciate it as will the hospice.
Without further ado:-

Moons of the year,
this list varies with what you read and where. Take this as a starting point.

January - Wolf moon, deepest darkest point of the year. Tree Birch and later in the month Rowan, colours I think of for January are grey and white, Zodiac signs are Capricorn and Aquarius. I always think of January as hope, a new year and new beginnings on the calendar. Days becoming gradually longer so maybe in the colours a touch of rose and palest pink for brighter dawns?

February - Chaste moon, spring is on its way slowly. Snowdrops and aconites are showing their heads through the snow. Trees, Rowan and Ash. Colours yellow white fresh green. Zodiac signs Aquarius and Pisces. Maybe water colours for Pisces? On the wheel of the year Imbolc. Valentines Day is also in this month.

March - Seed Moon. Trees Ash and Alder. Zodiac signs Pisces and Aries. On the wheel of the year it is Spring Equinox and Ostara. Easter lies somewhere between March and April so colours from then maybe golds rich yellow and rich green?

April - Hare Moon, Trees Alder and Willow, Zodiac signs Aries and Taurus

May - Dyad Moon, Trees Willow and Hawthorn. Zodiac signs Taurus and Gemini. On the wheel of the year Beltaine a fire festival. Think fire colours maybe?

June - Mead Moon. Trees are Hawthorn and Oak. Zodiac signs Gemini and Cancer. On the wheel of the year it is Summer Solstice, longest day.

July - Wort Moon. Trees Oak and Holly. Zodiac signs Cancer and Leo. Colours for me are fire colours, golds reds oranges. Simply because I am Leo and they are my colours. Also reflecting the peak of growing season.

August - Barley Moon. Trees Holly and Hazel. Zodiac signs Leo and Virgo. On the wheel Lughnasadh or Lammas. Harvest colours would go well here.

September - Harvest or Hunters Moon. Trees are Hazel and Vine. Zodiac signs Virgo and Libra. On the wheel it is Autumn Equinox. Maybe complimentary colours for the balance of Libra?

October - Blood Moon reflecting the time to slaughter animals for food for the winter. Trees are Vine and Ivy. Zodiac signs are Libra and Scorpio. Wheel of the year it is Samhain. Also Halloween and Day of the Dead. All Hallows Eve. Lots of names for this time of year. A new year in pagan beliefs.

November - Snow Moon. Trees are Ivy and Reed. Zodiac signs are Scorpio and Sagittarius.

December- Oak Moon. Trees are Reed and Elder. Zodiac signs are Sagittarius and Capricorn. Wheel of the year this is Yule or Winter Solstice. Also Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah I think?
Colours- reds greens?

Blue Moon - 13th Moon of the year can be placed differently each year - Storm Moon.

This is a (very) small selection of ideas and inspirations. I'd welcome any additions to my incomplete list. I just wanted to try and get something down to reflect my ideas for the year.
I'm going to make a hat in the aran yarn with purple grey splashes. Reflecting the bruising skies in January and the almost monochromatic landscape. For my socks I'm wondering whether a white with speckles of faint colour would go well? Do you remember how we used to speckle paper with a toothbrush? You would see faint traces of the colours that are to come throughout the year.
As always do leave your comments on this. I'll be adding it to my side bar somehow so you don't always need to scroll through.
I've had 2 offers of yarn already, thank you for that.

3 comments:

Crobbles said...

Perran and I loved exploring this idea, last year. We're investigating a flower or plant for each month at the moment and will revisit the Pagan moon names too. I'm hoping for some lovely art to spring from this as well as dyeing! I'll be blogging about it soon.

florencemary said...

Amber, I'd love to donate yarn for your #3 Hospice knitting (and it would do me good as well in terms of a bit of a destash). I will have a look to see what I've got enough for a hat/socks in DK/aran - hopefully to fit into one of your themes.

Thanks so much, as well, for your lovely comments on my blog recently - I do appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

It's starting to look like I just need to save your posts...thanks again!!

Poetry for Brigid Imbolc

  The Lake Isle of Innisfree BY  WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree, And a small cabin build there, of clay a...