July 02, 2010

Tour de fleece, finished shawl,spun (thin) yarn

It has been very hot since we returned from Woolfest and I have been totally drained with it all. The fact that I can't find a bone that doesn't hurt makes it much worse:(

But the sun is shining once more, I heard the delightful dawn chorus this morning so that is good.

There has been crafty stuff going on chez Moggie.

A finished shawl From Vixen to Goddess. So named because the original pattern was called Vixen. I made the red hot chilli shawl ,previously shown, as per pattern(mainly) but this one I decided to improvise so I threw in some bands of stocking stitch.
I much prefer this I think.

Fibre was some merino from Adelaide Walker, drum carded with silk, glittery trilobal and angelina and some BFL.
Very sparkly and very gorgeous to spin.
I love the lightness of it and I love the way it drapes. Wasn't it lucky that some of the flowers in the garden matched so beautifully with it?

Mr Mog and I are joining the Tour de Fleece on Ravelry. The aim is to spin each day of the Tour de France. As we both follow it avidly this seemed a good project. We don't watch the full stage each day but the ITV highlights of an hour per night.
Less irritating than the incomprehensible waffle from the commentators on Sky , ITV are much more restrained normally and don't spoil the action with inane comments. The idea is that we will spin of an evening while watching the highlights, not necessarily the full hour.
Mr Mog is doing a melange of fibres, a sampler almost.
I've dyed 400g of BFL/Kid mohair. Something I haven't spun before so a challenge for me.

I wanted an undersea colourway so kettle dyed the fibre with cerulean blue, jade, emerald and a tiny bit of spruce.
I love it.
My next photograph is of some merino cashmere fibre I purchased from Mandacrafts at Wonderwool. This fibre wanted to be spun fine so who am I to disagree with it? Despite hating to knit with fine yarn I decided to go along with the bolshy fibre.
A challenge for me but one I managed to win.
This skein is just 65g in weight and a staggering 531 yards of yarn.
I am very pleased with it, hence 2 photographs for you.
What I will do with it I have no idea. I do have another 85gms so sufficient for something big when I spin it up.

8 comments:

Suzi Smith said...

mmm... love the undersea colourway... and vixen to goddess looks wonderful out amongst the greenery x

laoi gaul~williams said...

another Tour fan!
i know very few Tour fans and i dont think many people we know understand our love of it :)

i treated myself to the official programme pack last week~complete with maps and dvd and today am off to buy what i am calling my 'Tour snack'~bits to nibble on while i watch. our one luxury is sky tv and so i will be watching the whole thing~what bliss!
we have been talking of saving up and taking the camper over to france and following the race in 'pretty pagan' but need to get litle flynt his pet passport first.

enjoy your viewing :)

CJ Kennedy said...

Oooh, the undersea colors are gorgeous!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Ha ha, "Tour de Fleece" -- cute!

Kathy said...

The shawl is just beautiful. And I love the name of it.

Also, the undersea colors are exquisite. You have such an eye for color.

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Love the fine yarn. Ambermog. I wish I could learn to spin finely enough for a cobweb shawl. Mine is still determinedly chunky gauge. I'm in on the Tour de Fleece too, working on a huge cop of Corriedale which will turn into a homespun tie shawl at some point.

Heather Woollove said...

How lovely that you and your husband share a 'fiber passion'!!
You are a lucky woman.
Spin on, baby!!

pip said...

I just love the undersea colourway :)

Poetry for Brigid Imbolc

  The Lake Isle of Innisfree BY  WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree, And a small cabin build there, of clay a...